It turns out part of the satisfaction of finishing a WIP is getting to mark it finished in Ravelry. My most recent FO is not in Ravelry, and when I got done, I really missed that final step, much like crossing something off a list.
Why is not in Ravelry? Because it’s not my yarn, and not my project! A while back I cleaned out the attic and found all the girl’s WIPs from when she was knitting and got permission to finish them. The Sockhead came with me to concerts until I was ready for decreases, and then it got set aside and I forgot about it until today. It took an hour at most to finish the knitting and weave in the ends, and now she has another pretty hat to take to Colorado this fall. I especially like the way the decreases worked out.
The best thing about this project was that I bought myself some ChiaoGoo circular needles to finish it and I discovered I love them! They have lovely little pointy tips and the join is so smooth. I definitely need some more of those. The yarn is some kind of Malabrigo and I have some left, maybe for if/when I decide to do a sock yarn memory blanket.
This was the last of her WIPs but she still had some pretty yarn, so I think I’ll cast on some socks for her next. Hmm, will a college student actually want handknit socks, since they can be higher maintenance? I guess we’ll find out!
I recently received a pretty bag of yarn in the mail, some organic cotton from Appalachian Baby. This is another review opportunity, and I got to choose my color palette of the 3-skein U.S. Organic Cotton set. I chose Indigo, Doe, and Natural.
I had a heck of a time choosing a pattern. The yarn would be perfect for baby items, but I don’t have any babies in my life, so I finally chose a cowl pattern that’s been in my queue for months, Diamonds in the Rough. I’m going to modify it a bit to add stripes. I had some quiet time yesterday, so I took the opportunity to cast on. It calls for a provisional cast on, and it’s been so long since I crocheted that it took me a while to remember how to hold the hook and make stitches! But I figured it out and I’ve made a good little start. (The blue is the provisional cast-on.)
It’ll be nice to have some cool cotton to balance out the wool in my other projects!
Thank goodness these socks are finally done! They lingered on my needles for four months! Yes, FOUR. That’s eons for a sock, I’ll have you know. The first one went quickly because I was eager to see how it looked. And it was cute! I liked it. But man, the SSS (second sock syndrome) hit hard with this one. Turns out, I don’t really like knitting with brown. Brown isn’t pretty or fun or interesting to me. So I had to force myself to finish it just so I could call it done and put the yarn at the back of the shelf where it belongs, freeing up the needles for yarn that is beautiful! Anyway, bottom line, this squeaked in at the end of the month to become the fourth pair of socks finished in May.
I am quite pleased with them; I think they’re adorable. And I’ll have fun wearing them. But the brown is destined to become an accent color for future socks, and any other sock monkey knitting will have to be self-striping yarn! If you’re interested in details, you can see the project page on Ravelry here.
More fun has been my new sweater project! Despite the continuing heat, I have been merrily knitting along in the evenings and am over halfway through the navy stripe. Eight more rows and I’ll be ready to divide the body and sleeves! I’m looking forward to that; these are LONG rows right now. But look how pretty it is:
My goal is to get the sleeves on waste yarn and a good chunk of the body done this weekend, though I do have a recital and graduation reception for the girl tomorrow. With the exception of the sweater, I have a bit of finish-itis right now, so I think this sweater and the flower socks will be the focus of my knitting efforts for now. That is, if I can resist the siren call of the new Wonder Woman sock yarn I bought from a Ravelry destash…